Our Job Is About People
OUR JOB IS ABOUT PEOPLE
December 7, 2017
Welcome to Murphy & Dunn, P.C., One of Central Illinois' Best Divorce and Family Law Practices.
I am Attorney G. Edward Murphy and I founded this law firm over 29 years ago. At our law firm, we strive to put you first, every day, every time. Look at my family picture above. What do you see? You should see a happy family. That is what everybody wants.
Unfortunately, if you are coming to Murphy & Dunn, P.C. as a client or potential client, it means your family has broken down. No matter what else we do for you, our first job is to look at you and every client as a person first, and not as a number and not as just a client. Each and every person that comes to us is a living and breathing person that is hurting. We have to put you first and really think about what you need. That is job number one for us on every case, all the time.
Here are various thoughts and goals we have at Murphy & Dunn, P.C. and what sets us apart as the leading family law firm in central Illinois. We strive to use these goals on every case, no matter how difficult the case might be.
- Every client is a person. We want to get to know you personally by first name and by your face. We have never had a client complain with whom we had a good one on one personal relationship with. Every client needs to be treated like family, and like you are my brother or sister going through this process. We make you that important.
- We try to figure out what are your needs and determine the priority of the issues in the case. We want to act like it was our personal family members case and say to ourselves “What do you need right now” and determine if it is being done. How fast do we need to file pleadings, get a court date, etc. Are you being denied parenting time or rights to your kids? Are you starving and not receiving money? What needs done right now to get the case started off right? If it is in the middle of the case, what needs done right now to get the case back on track?
- We ask ourselves, “What you would want done right now if it was our brother’s case and if we were the client”.
- We want to talk to you, as the client, right from day one of the case. We ask questions. We get to know you. We find out all of the basic facts right away. 95% of the basic facts of a divorce case can be learned in general on our first day meeting you.
- We break down what the case is about for you right away. When talking to you, we listen to what you are saying and try to guide you along by asking the right questions and following up with other questions once you talk and give us feedback. We remember that you are talking to us because you are looking for our advice.
- Our job is to guide you and give you advice. It is not just to do what you think you want. You as a client often do not know what you want so our job is to ask questions, gather data, and make recommendations as to what you should do and should want. We do not draft crazy proposals just because that is what you want. We want to make sure what we are doing is legally correct and in you and your children’s best interests. We are the attorneys and paralegals on the case and we know legally more than you do. That is why you are coming to us.
- You are informed early on what are the main three parts of a divorce case and the main issues in all cases. We must go through with you basic family law in order for us to do our job properly and win your case. It is our job to be fully informed on the law and properly advise you and your family. We will be proactive, be a leader, and strive to be exceptional every day.
- One of our founding mottos is, “It is easy to be average, but hard to be exceptional. Go be exceptional”. We strive to be exceptional each and every day. More than anything, we want you to know we care.
- We strive to be nice to our clients and not be judgmental. We are not personally going through your divorce or situation. We do not know all of the behind the scene facts. We don't really know you as a person in the beginning so we do our best not to be judgmental. Our job is to be there for you and with you. Part of our job is to be your best friend and psychologist and counselor. If we can help you get through this like a friend, you will survive and be much happier. That is our goal. Building that client relationship is job number one, every day, on every case.
- We need to talk to you frequently. In person, by phone, by email, by text, or by all means of communication. We need to be your new best friend going through this process.
- Think about every person or company that you have ever hired or dealt with and think about which people and company you like. All of the ones that you like are because they are people that have a relationship with and that you know, whether it is a hairdresser or barber, auto repair store, house or car insurance, doctor or nurse, workout gym, Starbucks or coffee shop, car dealer, grocery store, house builder, realtor, etc. Anyone that you use to help you accomplish a task that is in the service industry is someone you use because you like them. You go to them because you are treated like a person and you have a personal relationship with them. That is what we strive to do as your attorney, paralegal, legal assistant, or manager at Murphy & Dunn, P.C. We are a personal service company, not a drafter of paper.
- No client cares how much paperwork we did today, especially if you as the client was not involved with it. All you see as a client is a big bill item if you didn't help do it. There are many things we have to do outside your presence, but our goal is to keep you informed.
- All drafting of anything can involve client input, even if it is a five minute phone call to confirm or say hi. Don’t underestimate the quality and value of that 5-minute phone call. As a client, don’t hesitate to call us with questions.
- Telephone calls and office conferences are the most important to both us and to you as the client because they involve real human interaction. Pick up the phone and get answers. Don't have email be your priority form of communication. Even if you do email, call us and discuss it with us or set up a meeting. We believe every person in the office should have multiple office conferences or telephone conferences every day with clients. A few 15-minute phone calls are better than 8 hours of paperwork.
- All clients need contacted before any hearing or meeting to confirm the appointment and to discuss what is coming up. No client should be going to a court hearing not having talked to the attorney or paralegal by phone. We love just touching base with you for a 2-minute phone call to say hi and confirm what will happen at the hearing and where to meet, etc. This is hard to do all the time, but beneficial.
- Our goal is to have every attorney talk by phone to the client personally, and not always the day before. Every paralegal needs to talk to the client to update them and make sure they know what is going on.
- Client contact is job one. Client contact, even if brief, is more important than spending hours doing paperwork. We want to take 5 minutes out of that paperwork and call you as the client to update you on what we are doing and to tell you what is going on. Communication is key to a successful result.
- You as the client are the best source of information in every case, all the time. We want to go to you first for answers. Don’t be upset if we keep asking for details. Details matter.
- Our job, all the time, is to gather data at every step of the case. This is true whether it is a paralegal or attorney. Everything revolves around having the best data and doing something with it.
Thank you for considering Murphy & Dunn, P.C. as your attorneys. We strive to be the best divorce, custody and family law attorneys in Illinois. Please contact us for more information or to schedule your free initial consultation at one of our two convenient locations.
© G. Edward Murphy (12072017)