Relatives' Rights

Relatives' Rights to Custody and Visitation

Aunts, uncles, cousins, siblings and other relatives may play the role of a parent in a child's life because of the death of a parent or their absence for another reason.

Relatives' Rights Involving Children They Are Raising

If you are raising a relative's child in your home as your own, you should speak to an attorney about making the arrangement official. The attorneys of Murphy & Dunn, P.C. will analyze the specific facts and circumstances of your situation and give you our best assessment of your options.

If the child is living with you due to the death or long-term absence of a parent, we may be able to petition the court to award you child custody. If the child lives with a parent, obtaining custody is unlikely.

Our lawyers may be able to obtain visitation privileges for you. If the parent or parents object to your request for visitation, we may be able to show the court that it is in the child's best interest to have a relationship an involved family member.

Parents' rights are broad and relatives' rights are fairly narrow. Still, we have successfully obtained both visitation and custody for our clients. We have also been successful in representing parents who would prefer to deny their relatives the right to visitation or custody of their child.

For A Free Initial Attorney Consultation

Contact us today for your free initial consultation. Parking is free. To set up an appointment, please call us at 866-681-5405, or fill out the Client Intake Sheet on this Web site. We now have two office locations to serve you better. Our man office is located at 456 Fulton Street, Suite 425, Peoria, Illinois 61602.