Guardianships for Vulnerable Adults

Some adults with physical or mental disabilities cannot manage their affairs on their own. In these cases, the court can appoint a guardian to make important decisions about the vulnerable person's finances, living arrangements, health care and other affairs.

Is guardianship the right choice for a person you care about? The family law attorneys of Murphy & Dunn, P.C. can petition the court to appoint a guardian to manage the affairs of a vulnerable adult.

Two Types of Guardianships

There are two general types of guardianships under Illinois law. If a person needs help with managing financial affairs, a guardian or conservator can be appointed to manage the person's estate. This person will have control over the vulnerable person's assets and responsibility for managing them in the person's best interests.

The second form of guardianship is a guardian of the person. This person is appointed to make decisions about the vulnerable person's medical treatment, residential placement, social services and other needs.

Guardianship can be extremely complicated. Safeguards and reporting requirements are in place to protect the vulnerable person.

Guardianship should be considered a last resort because it removes a person's legal right to make important decisions. Our lawyers can help you review appropriate alternatives to guardianship. In some cases a simple power of attorney may meet your specific needs.

We are committed to helping you resolve your legal issue in the most efficient, cost-effective and appropriate way possible.

Contact us today for your free initial consultation. Parking is free. To set up an appointment, please call us at 866-681-5405, or fill out the Client Intake Sheet on this Web site. We now have two office locations to serve you better. Our man office is located at 456 Fulton Street, Suite 425, Peoria, Illinois 61602.